Sunday, November 20, 2011

weeks 13 and 14 video blog

I am so accustomed to defining art as something a gallery would display,  but this video, The Lowdown on Lowbrow , really opened my eyes to the fact that there are many different types of art which are worthy of recognition.  here is this subculture of artists who are not classified as "fine artists" producing amazing works of art and not receiving the attention they deserve.  We can enjoy comics and album covers and posters for upcoming shows but yet they are not art just announcements or leisure activity.  However,  the talent required to create these should be recognized.  I think it's awesome that this society of artists has come together and opened their own galleries so that those who appreciate this genre can enjoy it.  At first i just saw cartoons and rockabilly posters, but when you really take notice you can see the immense talent in every piece of art.  I love the use of the Polynesian Tiki theme and the classic cars and the 50's kitch that many of these artists use as their themes.  I was, and still am, a huge fan of rockabilly music... like the Stray Cats...and now I am asking myself how much would i love the music without the artwork that coincides with it, making it recognizable to everyone whether they like the music or not?  Lowbrow is an important part of our society and culture and should be recognized for it's contribution to our generation.

The video about the Tate Museum of Modern Art showed a dynamic way to display art.  I like the four sections-landscape, still-life, history and nude.  I also liked the artists displayed with eachother in juxtaposition,  Not only can one admire the artist's work but also try to make sense of why  they are displayed together.  I do believe that art should be categorized beyond Realism or Cubism or Expressionism.  So many works correlate with eachother even though they are from very different movements.   It's funny because I posted my discussion for my theme before I watched this video but that is precisely what I intend to do with my display.  I figured it gives the viewer more depth to each artist if you show two vastly different but similar artists together.  We shouldn't be told what we are  seeing.  We should use our minds and our own interpretations with a little bit of history.  That is art to me.

Bones of Contention made me think alot about what is a scientists viewpoint and religious beliefs.  Where do you stop?  I found it apalling archaeologists have been keeping Native American bones without permission.  Pretty sure they, as archaelogists,  know the culture and meaning behind sacred burials.  The Native Americans were here first, we took over, and didn't treat them well.  I am part Cherokee and can't imagine what my ancestors went through.  I am so glad there are repreation laws so the remains that are found can have the proper burial so that person can move to the next level.

I have known the name Kodak for years and also knew Eastman was part of the revolution of making cameras accessible for everyone.  I think it's amazing that the 50 room house he built is now his museum.  I would love to see the 5000 cameras, especially the 1905 cameras.    Not only that,  but the Daguerrotypes that are displayed there.  And to be honest, I would just love to see the 50 room Colonial house.  It is amazing that Eastman made photography available to everyone and what he did for the film industry.  David Hockney even said there has always been a way to project images...only recently was there a camera to record it.

No comments:

Post a Comment