Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mask


I was trying so hard to figure out what to make my mask out of.  I was going to buy a mask from Wal-Mart  and try to form something around it.  I wanted to originally make a Maori mask of a warrior about to go into battle.  But then I was cooking eggs and looked at the carton and realized my mask was right there.  I at first saw a I a  raccoon and looked up faces of raccoons, but then I added the ears and all I could see was a cat. I know that the Egyptians consider cats sacred and thought I will make an Egyptian cat mask.  The elements of the raccoon mask are line, mass and shape.  The dark circles around the eyes are mass.   The white in the middle are mass and line.  And the mask as a whole is shape.  The shaggy cat is texture.  The fur is so prominent you feel like you could touch it.  The Egyptian cat is definitely line, the outline of the eyes and the whole basic outline of the mask.  There is definitely emphasis with the gold paint around the features.  It is also symmetrical.  I basically used the image of the Egyptian cat mask to create my own.  I kept it simple but tried to make it like the Egyptians created their images of cats.  I was pleasantly surprised with the finished project.  My girlfriend couldn't believe I made this from an egg carton.  The Egyptian cat doesn't have whiskers but in my yard there were reeds and  I thought they would make great whiskers.  Most masks I have seen are concave, forming to the face, but I like that mine protrudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment