Sunday, October 2, 2011

Museum


I really enjoyed my visit to this museum.  I was surprised there were so many pieces from artists I know about.  I liked the Joan Miro exhibition alot...he is one of my favorite artists.  I have always had a connection with him...the colors he uses and the shapes are so unique.  I also felt a connection with Roland Flexner and his bubble drawings.  What a great idea using soapy water mixed with sumi ink.  They were each one individual but yet connected to eachother.   I decided to use Gianfranco Foschino's The Window as my third connection piece.  I was really drawn to the color of the wall and couldn't stop watching the video of the people in the room just going about their daily lives.






          
            
        





My choices for making an impression was first the Andy Warhol oil on canvas titled 100 cans.  I couldn't believe he painted every can himself.  I always thought it was a printed image that he duplicated.  They were all so  perfectly done!  I also liked theAlexander Calder Composition in Red and Black.  The movement he achieved through the contrasting colors and the curves make the image look like it's going to walk right off the page.  My third choice is by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner titled Portrait of a woman.  I liked his use of proportion and the bold colors he used to give her importance.

I was really intrigued by Salvador Dali's The Transparent Simulacrum of the Fatigued Image.  His artwork is so involved...always so much going on!  I would love to know more about his thoughts when he created the piece and what he wanted it to mean.  I also enjoyed the bronze figure by Alberto Giacometti called Invisible Object.  The way he made her eyes different from eachother and the distant stare she has and the expression on her face made me wonder if she was troubled by something or missing whatever was in her hands.  And, of course, I would like to know more about Joan Miro.  To some his art must look like just a bunch of shapes but I know there is meaning to them.  His style of abstraction has always interested me.  I would love to know more about his pieces so I could learn what he was trying to convey in the piece.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, picked a Miro for one of my images--the Carnival of Harlequin. His work really is mesmerizing. And, to me, it always feels a little sinister, despite its bright colors and abstract shapes.

    While I didn't choose Roland Flexner's bubble drawings for this assignment, I always make sure to go see them when I stop by the Albright-Knox. I've tried doing something similar in the past, and...it didn't turn out nearly as well, haha. His bubbles almost have the look of an M.C. Escher drawing, who played with drawing reflective surfaces in black and white.

    It is interesting to wonder what is going on in Dali's head when he paints. I was watching a video recently where the narrator was talking about how Dali eventually became a parody of himself, where he was less trying to paint whatever came into his head and instead painted more what the world expected of such an eccentric artist. I wonder if, in that narrator's opinion, this painting would exist in the former or the latter category. I like it, at any rate--especially with the disconcerting woman's head on the right side.

    ReplyDelete